- The Department has opened its computer facilities for the students from the 19th of January, 2015. Please read the rules for using this facility here.
- Research Colloquium: "South Africa in world development: the globalization of apartheid", on 30th January 2015 at 3:00 p.m. by Prof. Keith Hart
- Pre-Ph.D. Submission Seminar: "Television and Socio-Cultural Identity: An Ethnographic Study in Orissa" by Pranta Patnaik, on 11th February 2015 at 3:00 p.m.
- Please click here for the Ph.D. application schedule. The application forms will be available between 12th and 30th of January for the current round of admissions.
- The Department of Sociology celebrated 80th birthdays of Prof. J.P.S. Uberoi (5th Sept.) and Prof. Andre Beteille (30th Sept.) on 29th October 2014. Click for photographic report of the event.
The faculty of the Department consists of distinguished scholars. They are actively associated with the Indian Council of Social Science Research (ICSSR) and the UGC.
Under the CAS Program, international and national scholars are invited to spend time at the Department and be part of its ongoing activities and programs. Visiting Fellows meet and take some classes with M.A. and/or M.Phil students, depending on their interests and expertise.
M.A. in Sociology
The M.A. in Sociology is a two-year, full-time course divided into two parts, consisting of four Semesters.
M.Phil. in Sociology
M. Phil. in Sociology is a full time one year research degree course.
Ph.D. in Sociology
Since its inception in 1959, the Ph.D. Programme at the Department of Sociology has produced more than hundred doctorates.
The Department of Sociology is the hub of a number of academic and co-curricular activties
The Sociological Research Colloquium (SRC) is an important institution of the Department to which scholars from other universities both in India and abroad contribute regularly.
The Department of Sociology brings out an occasional paper series.