Dr. Anuja Agarwal from Department of Sociology, University of Delhi presented his research entitled ‘Law, religion and marriage: Arya Samaj Marriage in Indian courts’ at the Sociological Research Colloquium.
When: Friday, 27th October 2017 at 3:00 p.m.
Where: Seminar Room (First Floor), Department of Sociology, University of Delhi
This paper is a part of a larger project on marriage in Arya Samaj, a ‘brand of reinterpreted and modern Hinduism’ (Jones 1976) founded by Dayanand Saraswati in late 19th century. The paper will draw from one major section of this work which is concerned with the prominent role of the Arya Samaj in the solemnization of marriages in Indian society. Arya Samaj is well known as the provider of quick and easy marriage services, particularly for those lacking familial consent. But although the Arya Samaj has been a harbinger of transgressive unions for a while now, its role in conducting such marriages is also increasingly attracting judicial scrutiny. Setting the Arya Samaj marriage services in a broad legal historical context, in this paper I wish to highlight the limits and capacities of the ambiguous legal space occupied by marriage services offered by the institutions functioning in the name of Arya Samaj, which is evident in the restrictions and regulations it is increasingly encountering and adopting as well.
Other Research Colloquiums
- FRIDAY RESEARCH COLLOQUIUM: 3:00pm 23rd September 2022. Shashi Bhushan Singh: The riddles of democracy: Elections and the reproduction of dominance in a south Bihar panchayat.
- FRIDAY RESEARCH COLLOQUIUM: 3:00pm 16th September 2022. Sanjay Srivastava: The anthropologist’s stone: Mussavis, satellite mapping and the social life of digital technologies at the rural-urban frontier in Gurugram.
- FRIDAY RESEARCH COLLOQUIUM: 3:00pm 29th April 2022. Geetika Bapna: Marital Biographies of a Household: The Ethnography of a Moral Verb.
- FRIDAY RESEARCH COLLOQUIUM: 3:00pm 22nd April 2022. Supriya Singh: Domestic Economic Abuse: Money Without Morality Becomes a Medium of Abuse.
- FRIDAY RESEARCH COLLOQUIUM: 3:00pm 8th April 2022. Maya John: Law’s Labour Lost: A Short History of Labour Law in India.