The Department of Sociology was established by the University of Delhi in 1959 as a constituent of the Delhi School of Economics with the eminent sociologist Professor M.N. Srinivas as Head of the Department. To begin with, the Department trained students for two courses: M.A. and Ph.D. In 1966, a two-year course for the M. Litt. degree was introduced. This has been replaced since 1976 by an M. Phil. degree course of a year’s duration. In 1968, the Department was recognized as a Centre of Advanced Study in Sociology by the University Grants Commission (UGC), the first Department of Sociology to receive this recognition and has continued to be a Centre of Advanced Study since then. The UGC also provided a five-year grant under its ASHISS (Assistance for Strengthening of the Infrastructure of the Humanities and Social Sciences) program for departmental infrastructure as well as research on State and Society.