For information related to Admission Procedure, Online Registration, Important Deadlines, Eligibility Criteria and Reservation & Relaxations, please refer to Bulletin of Information for Admission to Post Graduate Courses (2021-22) and to the Delhi University website.
- How can I correct a mistake made when filling forms on the Admission Portal?
- Who should I contact about problems with the Admission Portal?
- Is MA Sociology in DU the same as MA Sociology in Delhi School of Economics?
- Is there a separate formfor applying for M.A. Sociology in DSE?
- What are the essential documents required for uploading on the DU Admission Portal?
- What is the applications procedure for Foreign Students?
- Is it necessary to have a Sociology degree to be eligible to take the entrance exam?
- Who is eligible for applying for admissions in M. A. Sociology?
- Is it necessary to choose between DU merit based and entrance exam based streams?
- How does one prepare for the entrance exam?
- Where can one access the previous years’ Question Papers for the Entrance Exam?
- What are the essential documents to be submitted on the day of admission?
- What are the placement opportunities after M.A. Sociology?
FOR PORTAL ISSUES CONTACT UNIVERSITY, NOT DEPARTMENT:
Please note that the Department of Sociology has no access to the D.U. Admissions Portal. Any queries or complaints regarding the Admissions Portal must be addressed to the University authorities. You could start by sending email to the address given in the PG Admissions page of the DU website: email@example.com
D.U. M.A. SOCIOLOGY ONLY IN DSE (NO COLLEGES):
Applying for an MA in Sociology in Delhi University means the same thing as applying for an MA in Sociology in the Delhi School of Economics. Basically, the DSE is not relevant to your application process. All applicants must apply to the DU admissions portal directly. Delhi School of Economics (DSE) has no separate application process. However, once the admission process is over, if your name appears on the Admission List, you must contact the Department of Sociology directly.
ONLY SINGLE ADMISSION PROCESS FOR M.A. SOCIOLOGY:
No. There is no separate form to apply for MA Sociology in Delhi University and in Delhi School of Economics – they are the same thing.
LIST OF DOCUMENTS FOR UPLOADING DU Admission Portal:
|Passport Size Photo||50 KB||JPG/ JPEG/ PNG|
|Scanned Signature||50 KB||JPG/ JPEG/ PNG|
|Class 10th, 12th Marksheet, degree certificate* (Self-attested copy) *If UG degree result is not declared, then provisional certificate will do.||100 KB||JPG/ JPEG/ PDF|
|Identity proof (Self-attested copy of any one: Aadhar Card, Driving License, PAN Card, Voter’s identity card, Passport or College Identity Card)||50 KB||JPG/ JPEG/ PNG|
|Caste certificate (Self-attested copy), if applicable||100 KB||JPG/ JPEG/ PDF|
Applicants have to register through the link “Online Registration for Admissions 2020-21” available on the FSR website: http://fsr.du.ac.in to access the Application Form for Admissions 2020-21 for Foreign Nationals.
For more information, please refer to FSR Bulletin.
BACKGROUND IN SOCIOLOGY NOT ESSENTIAL:
No. Familiarity with the BA (Hons) Sociology syllabus is desirable but not necessary.
ELIGIBILITY CRITERA FOR ADMISSION IN M. A. Sociology
|Eligibility in Entrance Category|
|Category Id||Course Requirements||Marks Requirements|
|1||Any Graduate / Postgraduate Degree in any subject from the University of Delhi or any Indian University recognized by the University of Delhi||50% or more marks in aggregate or equivalent grade|
|Eligibility in DU Merit Category|
|Category Id||Course Requirements||Marks Requirements|
|2||B.A. (Hons.) Sociology examination of the University of Delhi.||55% or more marks in aggregate or equivalent grade|
ENTRANCE VS. D.U. MERIT STREAMS:
Only those who have a BA (Hons) degree in Sociology from Delhi University with at least 55% marks in the aggregate can apply under the Delhi University “merit” stream. All others, including students of Delhi University, must apply under the “entrance” stream if they meet the eligibility criteria (essentially, at least 50% marks in the aggregate). However, those who are eligible to apply under the “merit” stream may also (if they wish) apply under the “entrance” stream. (This is a good idea, since you cannot be sure if you will get admission under the “merit” stream because of high cut-offs.) In the Admission Portal, there are thus three choices for admission criteria, out of which you may choose only one: Merit Based,or Both Merit & Entrance Test Based, or Entrance Test Based. Please note that the “both” option is only available to those who are already eligible for the “merit” option.
PREPARING FOR ENTRANCE EXAM:
The format of the question paper for this year’s Entrance Exam will be similar to previous years’ pattern (the past question papers are available on MA Sociology page). There will be 50 multiple choice questions to be answered. The questions will test general knowledge, logical and analytical abilities, data interpretation, sociological understanding and comprehension. The duration of the test is two hours. Familiarity with the BA sociology syllabus is desirable but not necessary.
PAST QUESTION PAPERS FOR ENTRANCE EXAM:
Please visit the MA Programme Page for details
LIST OF DOCUMENTS for uploading on the DU Admission Portal (on the admission day):
- A copy of your admission form (as has already been mentioned) as well as a copy of your entrance exam admit card. The latter is especially handy for those taking admission through the entrance list.
- Class X Certificate (Marks sheet or certificate) indicating date of birth and Parents’ names* (The names of applicants claiming reservation under OBC/EWS/ SC/ST/CW/ PwD must match with the names that appear on the corresponding reservation certificates; similarly their parents’ names must match in both sets of certificates).
- Class XII Marks Sheet.
- Four passport size photographs.
- Consolidated marks sheet and Degree Certificate of qualifying examination on the basis of which the applicant is seeking admission. Marks sheets of all semesters and provisional certificate may be submitted and accepted in those cases only where degree is not issued by their university, subject to producing proof thereof.
- OBC/EWS/ SC/ST /CW/ PwD Certificate (in the name of the Applicant) issued by the competent authority.
- OBC (Non-Creamy Layer) Certificate (in the name of the Applicant).The validity of the non-creamy layer certificate shall be for the financial year 2019-2020, issued after 31st March, 2020 by an authority mentioned in DOPT Office Memorandum no. 36012/22/93- Estt. (SCT) dated 15.11.1993), and wherein the caste is in the OBC central list issued by http://ncbc.nic.in/backward classes/index.html.
- EWS Certificate from competent authority certifying that the applicant can claim reservation under this category.
- One identity proof issued by the Competent Authority as notified by Government of India.
- The applicants are also required to submit two undertakings as provided in these links: a) Undertaking against Sexual Harrasment; b)Undertaking against Ragging
Here is an indicative (i.e., suggestive rather than complete) list of some of the sectors that our alumni work in (This is an indicative, not a complete list.):
Business (Public Relations, Marketing and Sales, Consumer Research, Human Resources, Training, Entrepreneurship Community Services, Non-Profit Agencies, Urban Planning, Community Development – Advocacy);
Education (Admissions, Counselling, Curriculum Designing, Research, Teaching: Elementary, Secondary, Special Education);
Publishing (Professional Writing ⁃ Project Research, Editing, Journalism); and
Social Services (Research, Social Work).